The next night you decide to take another stroll through the tree.\nOn your way to the ground floor you notice a flyer for a book club.\n[[continue|mucha1]]
[[The next day...|pigeon2]]
[img[sadowen.png][sadowen2]]
[img[ground.png][mole1]]
[img[goodspirit4.png][badspirit5]]
[img[goodspirit5.png][badspirit6]]
[img[spirit6.png]]
[img[smallitems.png][kousa]]
[img[spirit2.png][badspirit3]]
[img[spirit3.png][deadmole]]
You remember seeing a flyer about a book club earlier.\nAnd you have the book they're currently reading in your bag.\nA book club would be a great way for Owen to make a new friend.\n[[give Owen the book.|happyowen]]\n[[don't give Owen the book.|nobook]]
You check under her bed.\n"There's nothing under your bed Margarie. You're fine."\n\nShe doesn't come out from under the blanket.\nYou decide to [[leave her room.|owen1]]
[img[mucha2.png][mucha3]]
[img[mucha3.png][mordecaimucha2]]
On your way to the ground level you notice Mucha is sitting by the hole again. He seems more distraught this time.\n[[approach|sadmucha1]]\n[[ignore|ignoremucha]]
[img[goodspirit1.png][goodspirit2]]
[img[1280pigeon.png][ignoreoutside]]
You feel kind of awkward and give Mucha a sympathetic smile.\n[[You continue towards the staircase.|marge1]]
You choose to ignore the mole sitting by the hole and continue on towards the staircase.\n[[continue|continuetomouse]]
On your way back to your room you pass by Owen's door.\nAnd again, you hear a soft sobbing sound.\n[[knock|sadowen]]\n[[ignore|toroom2]]
Your current home has recently been infested by dust bunnies, and you've had to temporarily relocate to the Great Kousa Tree in the [[Grisbin Forest|treasure]].
After saying goodbye to Margarie, you walk up the stairs.\nOn your way to your room you hear a soft sobbing coming from one of the doors.\n[[knock|owl1]]\n[[ignore|continuetoroomignore]]
As you leave the Great Kousa Tree a strong gust swirls around you.\n[[The landscape seems to have changed.|goodspirit]]
[img[intromordecai3.png][intro3]]
[img[intro2.png][dustbunnies]]
After saying goodbye to Mucha, you continue on your way towards the staircase.\nYou reach the first step when you hear a strange sound coming from the door to your left.\n[[knock|mouse1]].\n[[ignore|ignoremouse]].\n
[img[sadmarge2.png][plushie]]
The next night you decide to take another stroll through the tree.\nOn your way to the ground floor you notice a flyer for a book club.\n[[continue|ignoremole1]]
[img[mucha1.png][mordecaimucha]]
[img[1280pigeon.png][leave]]
[[The next day...|pigeon]]
You decide to ignore the soft sobs. \nOwen is probably fine.\n[[You continue to your room for the night.|ignoreday3]]
As you leave the Great Kousa Tree a strong gust swirls around you.\n[[The landscape seems to have changed.|badspirit]]
[img[deadowen.png][badspirit4]]
[img[kousatree.png][ground]]
You choose to ignore Mucha sitting by the hole and continue on towards the staircase.\n[[continue|marge1]]
[img[goodspirit3.png][muchahappy]]
[img[goodspirit2.png][goodspirit3]]
You ask Mucha what [[the hole is for.|mucha2]]
[img[goodspirit5.png]]
[img[goodspirit4.png][goodspirit5]]
You choose to ignore the sounds.\n[[You continue on your way up the stairs.|ignoreowl]]
[[I'm Mordecai.|mouse5]]
Shirley Jackson
[img[happymarge.png][owen1]]\n
[img[deadmouse.png][deadowl]]
[img[titlescreen.png][begin]]\n
[img[bookclub.png][margehappy]]
[img[sadowen2.png][book]]
[img[happymuchaend.png][owenhappy]]
"Mucha, what's wrong?" [[You ask.|sadmucha2]]
[img[sadmucha.png][givedragon]]
[img[mouse3.png][continuetoowl]]
[img[mouse2.png][mordecaimouse1]]
[img[goodspirit1.png][badspirit2]]
You knock on the door and ask,\n[["Hello? Are you ok?"|mouse2]]\n
[img[mouse1.png][mouse4]]
You hear some shuffling and the little door [[opens.|mouse3]]
[img[deadmole.png][deadmouse]]
You choose to ignore the strange sound and continue on your way.\n[[continue|continuetoowl]]
Masks
You remember the dinosaur plush toy in your bag.\nIt has a small scent pack which smells of mango.\n[[give plush|happymarge]]\n[[don't give plush|sadmarge]]
You ignore the soft sobbing and head to your room.\n[[continue|day2ignore]]
[img[happymucha.png][marge1]]
[[approach|approachmole]]\n[[ignore|ignoremole]]
You choose to ignore the shrieks.\nMargarie is probably fine.\n[[You continue on your way up the stairs.|owen1]]
You feel kind of awkward and give Owen a small pat on his back.\n[[You head towards your room.|ignoreday3]]
You head towards the staircase and pass by the mouse's door.\nYou hear shrill squeaking coming from the room.\n[[knock|marge1]]\n[[ignore|ignoremouse2]]
[img[happyowen.png][day3]]
[img[intromordecai.png][intro2]]
[img[owl1.png][owl3]]
[[I'm Mordecai|owl4]].
You knock on the door.\n"Hello? Are you alright in there?" You ask.\n[[The door opens|owl2]].
[img[owl2.png][continuetoroom]]
.passage img {max-width: 950px; max-height: 534px;}\n\n.passage a {color: #4d473e; font-family:Trebuchet MS;}\n\n.passage a:hover { color: #4d473e;font-family:Trebuchet MS;}\n\n.passage a:active {color: #4d473e;font-family:Trebuchet MS;}\n\nbody {\n\tbackground: #c1aa84;\n\nfont-family:Trebuchet MS;font-size:9pt;\ncolor: #7b694d;\n\n}\n\n
[img[happymarge2.png][goodspirit4]]
To start, have your browser window at full-screen resolution.\nClicking on images will take you to the next part of the story.\n[[continue|intro]]
You knock on her door.\n"Margarie? Are you ok?"\n\nThere is no answer except more shrill shrieks.\n[[You open the door|marge3]]
[img[sadmarge.png][marge4]]
You head towards the staircase and pass by Margarie's door.\nYou hear shrill squeaking coming from her room.\n[[knock|marge2]]\n[[ignore|ignoremarge]]
You remember you have a necklace containing Dragon Tears.\nDragon Tears illuminate in the dark, so they can light anyone's way through any amount of darkness.\n[[give Dragon Tears|happymucha]]\n[[dont give Dragon Tears|sadmucha]]
You say goodbye to Owen and head to your room.\n[[continue|day2]]
On your way to your room you hear a soft sobbing coming from one of the doors again.\n[[knock|sadowen]]\n[[ignore|toroom2]]
You choose to ignore the mole sitting by the hole and continue on towards the staircase.\n[[continue|ignoretomouse]]
You see the Mucha the mole sitting by the hole, again.\nHe seems more distraught this time.\n[[approach|sadmucha1]]\n[[ignore|ignoremucha]]\n
You reach the first step when you hear a strange sound coming from the door to your left.\n[[knock|mouse1]]\n[[ignore|ignoremouse]]